General principle of heat pipes
Heat pipe coolers use heat pipes’ effect in order to carry on calories from one area to another with an extremely high thermal conductivity.
They are generally made up of 3 elements :
- Evaporating plate : metal plate in contact with the electronic component to cool. The plate’s configuration adapts itself to the geometry of the component (dimensions, drilling, surface’s treatment).
- Heat pipes : assembled with the evaporating plate, they carry on calories from evaporating area onto the condensing area. Their diameter ans their position vary depending on the power to extract.
- Condenser area : it can be made up with metal fins that allow the dissipation of calories into a fluid (generally air) or a plate in contact with a colder surface.
At similar dimensions, thermal conductivity of heat pipes are 1000 better than copper and 1700 better than aluminum ! This exceptional property allows heat pipe cooler excellent cooling properties.
- Dissipated power : 1W to 30kW
- Working temperatures :-50°C to +200°C
- Thermal resistance: 5 to 40°C/kW
- Dissipation : Natural convection / Forced convection / Contact
- Performance (better than any heat sinks)
- Independence system : none maintenance necessary
- Lifetime > 30 years
- Extraction of calories from confined environment
- Power Electronic
- Aerospace / Defence
- Hot spot management
Low Power Heat Pipe Cooler
Heat Pipe are commonly used to cool microprocessor on computers. This is a very interesting solution to cool low power electronic semiconductors like :
- Peltier Thermoelectric modules
- Power supply semiconductors
- LED light
- CCD video sensor
- Laser diode
Drain heat pipe can be custom designed following your need to extract the heat from the hot spot and avoid too much thermal dissipation in the ambient temperature of the container. Remember that controlling the temperature of your components is also controlling their life time, and thus their reliability.
COUGAR ELECTRONIC low power heat pipes can cool power losses from 1W to 500W, depending on the configuration of your application.
High Power Heat Pipe Cooler
Heat pipes cooler for high power electronics can evacuate from 500W to 30kW. This technology can bring low thermal resistance and big cooling capacity without the need of any water circulation pump.
Our sister company CECLA METAL PROCESS, is leader in production of big diameter heat pipes for power cooling application.
Based on high section heat pipes, those coolers allow to evacuate losses created by power components such as IGBT, Press-Pack…
The cooler can be designed to fit to your need :
- Component’s contact plate adapted to your topology of semiconductor
- Dissipation’s fins sized depending on the available area, the fluid and the flow.
- Mechanical interface made up depending on your application mounting
Heat pipe coolers can be working with forced convection or natural convection.
An electrical insulation up to 15kV can be added on the component’s interface by integrating ceramic or resin.
Typical example of use:
- Cooler for Railway auxiliary converter (CVS)
- Cooler for power electronics in contained atmosphere
- Air/Air exchanger for overheated atmosphere inside cabinets
Heat Pipe tube
If you wish to build your cooler by yourself, or want to try the technology for a prototype, COUGAR ELECTRONICS has a range of standard heat pipe tubes.
The standards heat pipe tubes can convey from 10W to 500W per tube depending from the diameter and the gravity orientation.
Heat pipes tubes can be added in parallel in order to convey more heat or achieve a better homogeneity :
Example: if you need to cool a semiconductor with 120W losses => your possibles solutions are :
- 4 heat pipes D5Lxxx : 120W/30W per pipe = 4 pipes
- 3 heat pipes D6Lxxx : 120W/40W per pipe = 3 pipes
- 2 heat pipes D8Lxxx : 120W/60W per pipe = 2 pipes
The final choice between those 3 solutions will depend from the size of the semidonductor and the mechanical configuration.
Check in the table below which reference is the best one for your need. We will be happy to assist you in the best choice to make.
Heat pipes tubes are made of soft copper: thus they can be bent to achieve complex shapes. Generally the maximum bending radius allowed is between 2 and 3 time the diameter.
COUGAR ELECTRONICS can perform the bending following your drawing.